Friday 14 November 2014

Games As Art - Work


https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C1iJdOl6xtdTQZhea-SQ-ZyXhbOGX61Ixnvx0eD1jkk/present#slide=id.p



For my work I did a Presentation that would slide though my work and thought process.

Slide 2:
This is the slide that shows the initial ideas that I went though, I looked into different emotions that I could portray within my chosen media.

The media that I went with was a 2D interactive story, that would be created within Construct 2.

Slide 3:
These are the chosen ideas that I then gave a purpose, or character to, it was these ideas I then looked at to see which one I thought I would be able to accomplish the best. I wanted something that was thought provoking, and also made the player feel something when interacting with the scene.

Slide 4:
I then further narrowed down on 3 ideas that I generated earlier, and then did a quick sketch for each, this was so I could visualise what I was I would possibly be drawing for the end product, and see what one felt more natural and which stood out to me more.

Slide 5:
This is information about the chosen project, just explaing what will happen wth the story, and what I wanted the idea to focus on.

Slide 6:
This is some image research that I did for the creation of the teddy. This was looking into the feel and art of the chosen character.

Slide 12:
This is then a bit further into the design process, after looking into the shape and line art of the teddy and going from the drawings in my sketchbook to creating them on the computer and refining the ideas further, and then colouring the characters, becasue I thought it would be a bit too generic to have a girl with a pink toy.

Also with the child within the story, I concluded what it was that I wanted the story to be about, I wanted it to focus on a child that was unwanted due to a gender issue.

In the interactive story it is not really picked up on that she is the older child, but the character 'Toni' has a younger brother, who is only about 3 weeks old. The parents dote on this child, since it is the one that they have always wanted. 'Toni' is now pretty much ignored in favour of the other child.

'Toni' is a 5 year old child, and has grown up as a boy. From since she can remember, she has been dressed and talked to as if she was a boy, and since her brother has been born she has had hardly any interaction with her parents at all.

That is why the teddy in the story is now blue, to hint towards a boy, and being rather steriotypical about it.

This is the point that I moved onto creating the 2D environment for my game.

This was something that I wanted to be interatcive and thought provoking. This was something that was important to the feel and meaning of the game. In this game, you can walk room to room, in where the character lives. The two rooms that I am going to make are the bedroom and also the kitchen.




 The images above are coloued and drawn in this style, to show that this is something that the child could of drawn the image. This is because in the game, the child is asked to draw what they are talking about as they go.
Thi is also the reason as ro why there are limited colours within the scenes, its becasue with crayons, which was the effect that I was going for, so there would not be a large range of colours in different hues.



This is the character Toni, this is her dressed as a boy within the psychiatrists office, due to them not having access to any other clothing, than the clothing she bought with her.
This is the psychiatrist character, this is a character that I wanted to look smart, but also someone that a child would feel comfortable around, and would not mind talkind about their troubles to.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C1iJdOl6xtdTQZhea-SQ-ZyXhbOGX61Ixnvx0eD1jkk/present#slide=id.p

No comments:

Post a Comment